Follow Our Progress
Moving to the cloud requires a complete transformation of IT culture and will fundamentally change the way we offer services to customers.
This transition will not happen overnight. It is a multi-year effort, built on incremental improvements as well as a larger cloud maturity plan with well-defined objectives. The scale and speed of cloud innovations demand a deliberate approach to process and architecture design to ensure a successful delivery of services.
how we’ll get there
Gartner Research recommends that organizations follow a multi-year Cloud Adoption Maturity Plan.
Overall progress is tracked along four phases of overall maturity: Elementary, Specialized, Streamlined, and Optimized. Key milestones for successful cloud adoption are contained within five major workstreams: Organizational, Governance, Architecture, Provider Brokerage, Cloud Operations.
UCF IT will track its progress toward each milestone along the five workstreams and across each phase of cloud maturity. We will review our overall progress annually, set new goals, and identify specific milestones to focus on in order to achieve those goals.
The people, teams, and structure involved in designing, implementing, securing, supporting, and utilizing public cloud services
The set of principles, policies, standards, processes, and guidelines that enables IT to successfully leverage public cloud services to meet business goals
The tactical and strategic architectural work that enable organizations to consume public cloud services efficiently and securely
The act of evaluating, selecting, negotiating, and managing public cloud service provider relationships
The ability to efficiently manage and operate in a controllable manner within public cloud environments
Current Milestones In Progress
What We’ve Done
As our journey to the cloud continues, here’s just a few of the major achievements we’ve completed related to SaaS application delivery, operational improvements, service offerings, and strategic initiatives.
- Canvas Learning Management System
- Panopto Video Lecture Capture
- ServiceNow Lifecycle & Incident Management
- ProctorHub Assessment Authentication
- Azure Classic migration to Azure Resource Manager
- Regionally-redundant identity federation services in Azure
- Dedicated connectivity between UCF and Azure
- O365 Project Online for UCF IT project management
- Materia interactive learning migration to AWS
2014 - 2016
- Executive approval of Cloud First strategy
- Introduction of Cloud Maturity Roadmap
- Email services migration to O365 Exchange Online
- O365 OneDrive for personal online file storage
- O365 Power BI for cloud cost management
- First major customer application in Azure IaaS
- Duo Multi-Factor Authentication
- O365 Advanced Threat Protection for enhanced email security
- Azure DNS service availability
- Azure Backup service availability
- UCFMobile migration to Modo Labs Mobile Engagement & Communication
- Canvas static content delivery migration to AWS CloudFront
- Obojobo learning modules migration to AWS
- Formation of UCF IT Cloud Engineering Group
- Archival data retention migration from tape to cloud storage
- Azure Site Recovery evaluation for disaster recovery
- AWS Direct Agreement in place
- O365 Teams for enterprise collaboration
- SnapLogic Enterprise Integration Platform
- Dedicated Azure connectivity upgrade from 100Mbps to 650Mbps
- Azure DevOps for UCF IT application development
- UCF IT Cloud Website online
- UDOIT Canvas course accessibility scanning and remediation for faculty
- UCF IT appoints Cloud Architect
- SCCM Cloud Management Gateway for client management
- Low-cost Reserved and Burstable virtual machines
- HIPAA-compliant file server availability in Azure
- Azure SQL for managed cloud databases
As our journey to the cloud continues, UCF IT will continue to research and adopt the latest technologies so that we can fulfill our mission to provide innovative, responsive, and reliable technology solutions for our customers. These are some of the enhancements and exciting new offerings we’re currently working on.
An AWS hosted mobile application to assist students transitioning from Direct Connect schools to UCF
QuestionUp, an AWS hosted mobile application for student classroom engagement